Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myHSteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myHSteam Member asked a question 💭
Minneapolis, MN

Hello Fellow HS Warrors, I have had HS since I was in my teens and I finally felt I was making good progress in the control dept. I went out of the country foe 3.weeks and ran out of my regular deodrant I had been using for years. I purchased some antiperspirant at the local corner store and now I have the start of two boils under my armpit. The only difference is that the antiperspirant has aluminum. Could this be causing the boils or is it just a coincidence? Thanks in advance for your… read more

5 days ago (edited)
 · 
Be the first to react
myHSteam

Could switching to an aluminum-based antiperspirant be triggering new HS boils under your armpit? It's a very reasonable thing to question, especially since the timing lines up so closely with the switch!

Aluminum is a common antiperspirant ingredient that works by blocking sweat glands. While it hasn't been definitively Show Full Answer

Could switching to an aluminum-based antiperspirant be triggering new HS boils under your armpit? It's a very reasonable thing to question, especially since the timing lines up so closely with the switch!

Aluminum is a common antiperspirant ingredient that works by blocking sweat glands. While it hasn't been definitively proven to cause HS flares, it is known to cause skin reactions in some people — and for those with HS-prone skin, that irritation could potentially contribute to a flare-up. When choosing a deodorant or antiperspirant with HS, the American Academy of Dermatology recommends avoiding products that contain:

- Alcohol
- Baking soda
- Dyes
- Fragrance

Aluminum isn't on that specific list, but it's still worth avoiding if your skin reacts to it. The best next step would be to stop using the new antiperspirant right away and switch back to your regular product when you can. Also, avoid applying anything directly to the developing boils — one myHSteam member shared that they apply deodorant around the sore and cover it with a bandage instead.

It's worth mentioning this flare-up to your dermatologist, who can help confirm whether the aluminum was the culprit and recommend a safe alternative.

5 days ago

Related Questions

View All
A myHSteam Member asked a question 💭
Melbourne, AU

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In