Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myHSteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
July 18, 2024
 · 
Reactions
A myHSteam Member

I've been on Spironolactone since mid 2022 at 50mg x2 a day and it worked well for a bit but recently it seems to have lost some potency, so my dermatologist has me add another pill for x3 daily to see if it would help and it has lessened it combined with all the other daily things I do. I go back in September to kind of evaluate if this is "good enough" or whether we need to try something different. It's not a bad one to try, but like literally everything else, it's a crapshoot as to whether it'll work for you or not.

July 20, 2024
A myHSteam Member

Thanks for letting me know , appreciate it . I was advised it a year ago but didn’t start . Instead completely changed my diet and lost 12kg and symptoms have been fairly well controlled apart from flares usually after breaks in diet control . I’ll consider starting if I get more recurrent flares

June 27, 2025
A myHSteam Member

YES! It's been life-changing for me. My derm initially told me to take 50mg/day for the first month and then up the dose to 100mg/day, but the 50mg practically cured me of all of my HS symptoms/lesions, so she told me to stick to 50mg/day. (Please note these are not typical results and that even my term -- who's an HS specialist -- was surprised at well and how quickly I responded to only 50mg/day of spiro.) I've been on 50mg/day for just over two years and it's worked out well.

I have since experienced a couple minor recurrences/breakouts (usually during the week leading up to my period), but nothing as bad as what I experienced prior to going on the spiro. My derm said I could go up to 100mg/day to try to nip it in the bud completely, but I appreciate that the drug's side effects are so minimal on my low dose. I may change my mind about that, though, if I start breaking out again.

June 26, 2025
A myHSteam Member

Thanks a lot for letting me know how you got on with this . I delayed treatment as I wasn’t well but starting tomorrow so hopefully 🤞🏽 will work . Appreciate your response

August 28, 2024
myHSteam

Studies have shown that spironolactone can be effective for some individuals with hidradenitis suppurativa (HS). For example:

- A study of 64 females with HS showed better results with spironolactone than with oral antibiotics
- A 2018 study found that female participants experienced fewer lesions and less pain after Show Full Answer

Studies have shown that spironolactone can be effective for some individuals with hidradenitis suppurativa (HS). For example:

- A study of 64 females with HS showed better results with spironolactone than with oral antibiotics.
- A 2018 study found that female participants experienced fewer lesions and less pain after seven months on spironolactone.
- In another small study, 17 out of 20 women had improved symptoms after three months of treatment.

It's important to discuss with your doctor to see if this treatment is suitable for you.

July 18, 2024

Related Questions

View All
Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In