Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of myHSteam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A myHSteam Member asked a question 💭
Benzonia, MI

So I got a new referral to a new dermatologist I see next month as my current one was never helpful or willing to try much. I can not take humira as it lowered my immune system to much and put me in hospital for 2.5 months... I was wondering if there is any other injections or pills that I should ask about when I see them. Right now I do clindamycin topical but doesn't seem to help much when in active flare. Also curious if insurance would maybe approve laser hair removal for my spots i flare… read more

December 13, 2024
 · 
Reactions
A myHSteam Member

Ok will do thank you ☺️

December 21, 2024
A myHSteam Member

Spironolactone!

June 26, 2025
A myHSteam Member

You could ask about Cosentex. I just came off Humira and am now trying Cosentex. It's said not to suppress the immune system as much, plus less injections. Fingers crossed it helps!

December 20, 2024
myHSteam

It’s great that you’re being proactive about your HS treatment! Here are some options you can discuss with your new dermatologist:

1. Biologics: If Humira didn’t work for you, ask about other biologics like Infliximab (Remicade) or Ustekinumab (Stelara), though they may be off-label for HS.

2. Hormonal Therapy: Birth Show Full Answer

It’s great that you’re being proactive about your HS treatment! Here are some options you can discuss with your new dermatologist:

1. Biologics: If Humira didn’t work for you, ask about other biologics like Infliximab (Remicade) or Ustekinumab (Stelara), though they may be off-label for HS.

2. Hormonal Therapy: Birth control pills or Spironolactone may help if hormones play a role in your flares.

3. Retinoids: Isotretinoin could be an option for stubborn cases.

4. Corticosteroids: Short-term use or injections into lesions can reduce inflammation during flares.

5. Laser Hair Removal: Insurance may cover it if your dermatologist can document its necessity for managing HS.

Make sure to share your treatment history and concerns with your dermatologist to tailor the best plan for you!

December 13, 2024

Related Questions

View All
A myHSteam Member asked a question 💭
Phoenix, AZ

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In